Alison Cardoza, B.S. Exercise Science and Sports Medicine. Minor in Health Promotions. ACSM Certified Personal Trainer and Fitour Group Exercise Instructor at Baptist East Milestone Wellness Center. Former University of Louisville Ladybird and NFL Indianapolis Colts Cheerleader.
There are so many great fitness centers and wellness facilities in Louisville to help you stay active and fit in a safe environment. From my experience as a certified personal trainer at Baptist Milestone Wellness Center, we want what is best for you as an individual. Your safety and well-being are of utmost importance. Staying motivated can be a challenge of its own, and we know this. We all need encouragement and accountability, especially when it pertains to eating the right foods, getting enough sleep, consuming the right amount of water each day, and personal activity level.
March to a Healthier You!
Make time this month to exercise every day. 30 minutes a day will release stress.
Always drink 64 oz. of water a day. Hydration prevents infections and joint pain.
Remember to grab a green vegetable every day.
Change unhealthy habits. Eliminate 1 unhealthy habit this month.
Help others stay healthy. Be a positive role model in your family.
With vaccines underway, let us MARCH out of this challenging time and turn to exercise as a release. Whatever your fitness room is these days, whether it is a fitness center or your living room, keep moving!
March in place for 5 minutes. Do this in between schoolwork, during commercials of a television show, or a quick break at work!
Standing bent knee leg raises. Stand with one leg on the floor and lift the other leg (bent) up and down 15 times. Try not to touch the floor as your knee raises up and down. 2 sets of 15 on each leg. This is an excellent marching balance exercise.
Jog in place for 5 minutes. Lift your knees and pump those arms! This is a fast march that will elevate your heart rate and burn calories!
Lunge and lift one knee to the chest. Go back to lunge position. 2 sets of 15 for each leg.
Always stretch your body and hold the stretches for 30 seconds after a workout. Take deep breaths and release tension.
The following foods will make you feel GREEN (in a good way)!
• Avocado – a tremendous essential fat and helps lower cholesterol.
• Spinach – packed with vitamins and helps lower blood pressure.
• Kale – packed full of vitamins A, C, K, potassium, and fiber.
• Go Green Smoothie – 1 1/2cups ice cubes, 1 cup torn spinach, 1⁄2 cup vanilla almond milk, 1⁄4 cup vanilla yogurt, 1⁄4 avocado, 1 teaspoon lemon, and 1 teaspoon of honey. Combine all ingredients in a blender and enjoy!
• Green Beans – the nutrient folic acid is found in green beans. This B vitamin assists the body in making new cells.
• Broccoli – a good source of protein.